July 14, 2012

DIY Skinnies

I basically only wear my skinny jeans now-a-days but I have tons of other pairs of flair and boot-cut jeans. I decided to make them into skinnies. One thing I would recommend before starting is using a denim needle in your sewing machine, they are stronger and don't break as easily (my universal needle broke halfway through).  It was trial and error but I eventually got it right. I am definitely an amateur  at sewing and I am sure there is a better way to do this but this is what worked for me.  

Step 1:
Put your pants on inside out. Pinch and pin, but not too close. Its better to go about a half inch out from where you actually want it to be, you can always make them skinnier if you don't get them skinny enough the first time. Take your pants off carefully! 

Step 2: 
Draw a line with highlighter where you pins are (your pants should still be inside out). You can also use a fabric marker or colored pencil for this step. I took this picture after I had sewn the jeans but you can see I basically just highlighted where I wanted to sew. Measure both sides to make sure they are even. 

Step 3: 
Start sewing where the original seam is and slowly move inward where you marked with your highlighter. The jeans I was using were already pretty tight on my legs so I started following the original seam about 2 inches above where my knee would be.  


Step 4: 
take your seam all the way down to the bottom. The thread I was using was pretty thin so I went over my stitch again just to make it stronger. 


Before and After

You're Finished! 

5 comments:

Emily said...

Good job Mar! I love them! I will have to try this! :) Did you cut off the excess after you sewed it?

Stacey said...

This is such a DUH moment for me. So obvious I should have thought of this long ago.

MJ said...

Em - Ya I cut of the extra fabric on the inside

JillyMilly said...

OH my gosh you are so awesome!!!

abbie higginson said...

I love the new blog layout!